I feel a bit bad for the amount of changes I made to the pattern when making this. It’s not because the pattern isn’t good – far from it, it’s adorable! – but because of the yarn I used.

As I used a worsted weight yarn I noticed already when making the head that he turned out quite a bit bigger than expected. The head and body follows the pattern completed, but when I had made one arm, I thought it’s really too bulky and looked more like a log than a branch.

The arms are therefore improvised – they are simply ch 10, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across. The leaves are made using a magic ring – two leaves with mr 4 and one leaf with mr 6.

The head branches are also made differently – but I’ll admit that the reason for that is laziness… Instead of making lots of little branches and attach those, mine are crocheted straight into the head in a row around.

I also made a little mouth with black yarn. Because of the gradient yarn, he had a darker row by his mouth that made him look like a weird zombie! So he got a little smile to solve that.

Body and pot are made with Poundstretcher’s Crown Crest Colour Blend, and leaves and mouth with Hayfield DK. I didn’t have any solid black eyes in the right size at home, so he has a pair of Trimits red 9 mm eyes.

Pattern by: Clare Heesh
Link: Ravelry
Pattern price: free
Yarn: Hayfield Bonus DK & Crown Crest Colour Blend (Worsted)
Hook: 3.75mm
Completed: October 16, 2016
Status: Finished, gathering dust

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.